Gilead Sciences, Inc. is an American biopharmaceutical company that developed Remdisivir. It is an investigational nucleotide analog and having broad-spectrum antiviral activity both in vitro and in vivo in animal models against multiple emerging viral pathogens including Ebola, Marburg, and coronaviruses (SARS & MARS). This company primarily focuses on the development of antiviral drugs to combat multiple viral diseases.
Remdesivir , From pubchem
Some key Points:
1.An investigational nucleotide analog drug.
2.Other name of Remdesivir is GS-5734 (Reported in Nature journal – 2016).
3. An adenosine triphosphate (ATP) analog
4. First described in the literature in the Nature journal (2016) as a potential treatment for Ebola.
5. Not approved by FDA for any use but FDA has issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the unapproved product, Remdesivir, for the treatment of COVID-19.
6.According to research Remdesivir have potential treatment to SARS-CoV2, the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19.
7. FDA has issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the unapproved product, Remdesivir, for the treatment of COVID-19.
8. Clinical trail is still going on COVID-19 patients.
FDA authorization letter(May 1, 2020), Reference ID – 4601838
Warren, T., Jordan, R., Lo, M. et al. Therapeutic efficacy of the small molecule GS-5734 against Ebola virus in rhesus monkeys. Nature 531, 381–385 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature17180
National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Database. Remdesivir, CID=121304016, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Remdesivir (accessed on May 6, 2020)